Sunday, February 5, 2012

Donadea 50K, Training Update.


Training so far has gone as planned and this race is fitting in nicely with plans for other future events.  I more or less continued as usual since competing in the 100K World & European Championships last September but did of course include a few down weeks for recovery.  I finished off 2011 and started 2012 with some shorter cross country races which are great for building on leg strength over the winter and this race of 50K is just what I needed as motivation to get back into longer distance training and back out of my comfort zone.  So far this year I've ran close to Marathon distance at least 4 times which included one run of 50K , one Marathon distance run of 42.2k  and one Half Marathon distance run of 21.1K which I did just to get a measure for future runs. All my runs are aerobic except for the occasional shorter lunchtime run of 10K that I sometimes run a little bit faster.

As well as the above I've also started training on a more regular basis in No17 Personal Training, Merrion Square and without doubt it has made a difference to my strength and is helping me stay injury free.  I'll do a more detailed post on my strength and conditioning work in a future post and will include some detailed photos and routines.

I've started using the new Saucony Pro Grid Guide 5 which did take a bit of getting used to as it's very different from all previous models and I've been using it since it was Pro Grid Guide 1.  The heel in this model has dropped by 4mm which is a significant drop and for the first time I couldn't just run with it straight from the box.  I was slightly concerned as it felt a bit 'too' different but after a few easy runs I'm now using it for my long runs and have forgotten about the dramatic change but I was thinking that it might have been a better idea to go for a smaller drop of maybe 1mm or 2mm and drop it again when introducing the next model.  One big plus with this shoe is it's much lighter than the previous model and this might make a difference is races of 100K and longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment