Sunday, December 19, 2010

The year in review 2010.

Spartathlon Awards Ceremony with Team Mate Eddie Gallen.

Having finished off 2009 with a 220K run in my first 24-hr race I got a phone call from Ultra Running Ireland at the start of 2010 to say I'd been selected to run on the Irish Team in the 24-hr World Championships and that was the start of a great year.  I went on to run on the Irish Team 3 times and that included 2 World Championships.


Total Distance = 5100K (3170 Miles)
Rest Days = 81 with most spent traveling to or from races.
Races = 6 which included.

  1. Ballybunion 10K
  2. Virgin London Marathon: Pacer.
  3. IAU 24-hr World & European Championships.
  4. Anglo Celtic Plate 100K.  Boddington, England.
  5. Spartathlon.
  6. IAU 100K World & European Championships.  Gibraltar.
Longest Training Run= 100K
Longest Single Run= 246K
Longest Race= Spartathlon 246K
Proudest Moment = Wearing the Irish Vest for the first time although I felt just as proud when wearing it again.
Memorable Moments= Too many to list. 

Other stuff going on in the background included the filming of a feature length documentary which has been going on for a year now and is almost finished.  I can't give out the name yet but I'm told there'll be a trailer available towards the end of January which I can post.  The documentary uses the Spartathlon as the backdrop to the story of an Ultra Runner and thats all I can say at the moment.
Film Crew at the Tomb of Marathon.
Film Crew & Runners, Laragh Co.Wicklow.
Without doubt this was my busiest and best year since I've started running and I've ran longer, further and faster than ever before.  I still feel that I can and will improve but if that wasn't to happen I'd still be happy having had this year.

Footage from the 24-hr World Championships 2010 in Brive. 

My thanks to:

No comments:

Post a Comment