Monday, February 11, 2013

A change of direction.



Since last October I’ve been training with the Siberian Black Ice Race as my early goal for 2013 and made changes to my training to become event specific.  Upper body strength increased and with that my body mass went from 69Kg to a peak of 73Kg which I’m sure is mostly muscle as I’ve had recent comments about how thin I’m looking.  To prepare for the race conditions in Siberia I reduced my long runs replacing some of them with tyre hauling walks and started to run my regular runs slower.  This change from the norm was evident in my recent race results which started to drop because although I was getting stronger I seemed to just have the one gear and was always out kicked towards the end of a race regardless of position.
Now that the Race in Siberia is cancelled I’ve drawn a line in the sand Ice and have now started to get back to where I should be.  For starters I’ll work on getting back down to race weight by training and racing it off rather than starving it off. 
My short term goal (s) will be a reduction in my 5K & 10K race times and my next race will hopefully be the 24-hr World & European Championships in May.  The Team is yet to be announced but rather than waste any time I’ll train as if I’m going and build on the leg strength I’ve acquired while training for the Black Ice Race.
At the end of this week I'll run the Donadea 50K even though I feel less than prepared but that feeling could be nothing more than laziness and it won't be just a training run.

"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change." - Charles Darwin.

1 comment:

  1. That's quite shocking news about the Black Ice race, after all the work you have put into it. I hope you can transfer the training onto the 24-hrs circuit. All the best!

    ReplyDelete