Sunday, March 18, 2012

Kildare Senior Road Race Championships 2012.

And they're off!

Hosted by my club Le Cheile for the second year we had almost perfect conditions for this 10K Race even though I felt like I was in less than perfect condition for racing as a result of my recent training volume.  Keeping my eye on a more important race I couldn't afford to Taper or miss one of my weekly gym sessions and I've been suffering with the DOMS since Friday caused by a cumulative effect from strength training on Tuesday & Thursday.
Not expecting a peak performance but still feeling like I should run sub 37 mins which was slower than my PB (Personal Best) I decided to throw caution to the wind and run with the lead runners for as long as possible and then try a little bit harder rather than just pace myself as I would if running for a PB.
The race started and thats what I did.  All went well until almost 6K when my pace started to falter and I'm not sure if I fell back or the lead runners increased the pace but I could feel my legs were heavy and I was unable to push harder and stay with the pack.  The distance started to increase and with so many twists and turns in the last stages of the race I lost sight of the pack and the gap started to increase.


Approaching the last 2 K they were back in sight and with a target to focus on I managed to make up 2 places and even managed a sprint finish over the last 200 M.  Not sure of my position but I finished in 36:19 which after checking is only 2 seconds slower than last year so all in all I'm very happy with the result and still have the DOMS...

Well done to John Canning from Newbridge Athletic Club for a super win.

Photos thanks to Willie Murphy.

No comments:

Post a Comment