Sunday, February 6, 2011

Just Training

Physio during the Spartathlon

Since the start of this year I've been working on my endurance and running an average weekly distance of 160K at an aerobic pace.  I run the short runs slightly faster at the upper end of my aerobic zone to make them more time efficient as they are usually during my lunch break and the longer runs are slower and at the lower end of the zone.
I'm now training for the Anglo Celtic Plate in Scotland at the end of March and from next week  my training will get a bit more focussed with the introduction of some speed work.  I'll keep my weekly training volume around the same and will probably peak with a 50K race to be held in Donadea Forest Park at the end of February.
I was thinking of going as long as 60K but think the 50K race run slightly faster might be more beneficial although I won't run it at a pace that will result in recovery days off and a possible loss of fitness.
I've also block booked a few lunchtime massage sessions to preempt any possible injuries that may happen between now and March.  Most of my problems usually happen when starting back at speed work and it's probably because I do too much too soon.

The year so far:
Distance: 782K / 486 Miles
avg Pace: 4:54 per K / 7:52 mile
Days off: 2 (both unplanned)
Longest Run: 45K.

A word of warning regarding training volume: It takes time to build up to running over 100K per week and if you don't take a rest day then one week continues into the next and a week becomes 14 days, 21 days and so on....  Time on your feet needs to be taken into consideration as the higher volume of training eats into recovery time and less recovery will increase your injury risk.  A 3hr Marathon runner might cover 100K as a weekly total in around 8hrs while running at an easy pace whereas a 4hr Marathon runner might take 11hrs for the same distance.
Listen to your body and at the first sign of a problem take a step back and reduce the training volume or cross train.  Cautious short term reductions in training volume will help keep you injury free.

No comments:

Post a Comment